Within the UK, the link between illness and sitting throughout working hours first emerged within the Fifties.
On the time, researchers discovered that London bus drivers had been twice as more likely to have coronary heart assaults as their bus conductor colleagues.
Quick-forward to 2015 and, unsurprisingly, there’s been lots of analysis performed as regards to sitting.
The findings aren’t fairly – remaining seated for lengthy intervals is quick turning into thought to be the silent killer.
One of the largest pieces of medical research examined a pattern of 800,000 individuals.
In contrast with those that sat down the least, individuals who had been sitting the longest had an 112% increased risk of diabetes, 147% increase in cardiovascular events and 49% increase in death from any cause.
Why is sitting down for lengthy intervals so unhealthy for you?
- Electrical exercise within the muscle tissues drops and with no motion, the physique is just about shutting down. Sedentary behaviour results in a cascade of dangerous metabolic results within the physique, together with contributing to weaker muscles and bones.
- Once we sit down, our calorie-burning fee instantly plunges, lowering to round one calorie per minute – a 3rd of what it’s if we’re up and about.
- Extended sitting implies that our insulin effectiveness drops. This discount happens inside a single day and with it the chance of growing Sort 2 Diabetes.
- Sitting down slows the metabolism, which lessens our capability to manage our blood stress and keep blood sugar. It additionally reduces the manufacturing of enzymes that deal with breaking down lipids and triglycerides – reducing their effectiveness at eradicating fats from our bloodstreams.
Are gym-goers exempt from all this?
Cycle to and from work, play workforce sports activities or spiritual in your day by day yoga follow? The unhealthy information is that these new tips nonetheless apply to only about everybody – even avid health club goers.
It doesn’t matter what your day by day sporting actions are, should you’re sitting for prolonged intervals whereas at work it’s recognised as an impartial danger issue for unwell well being.
Professor Stuart Biddle, from Victoria University, Australia, says individuals who take common train should still be broadly sedentary:
If somebody goes to the health club or walks for 30 to 45 minutes a day, however sits down the remainder of the time, then they’re nonetheless described as having a ‘sedentary way of life’. All-day motion is now seen as being simply as vital for the upkeep of fine well being as conventional train.”
Can utilizing ‘standing up’ desks may also help?
At Pai, we’re keen on a mixture of typical desk chairs, Swiss balls and kneeling chairs to maintain our backs and cores blissful – however ought to we be utilizing ‘standing up’ desks?
Standing as much as work implies that we’re pressured to maintain our our bodies shifting by the pure fidgeting that happens once we’re standing.
Professor David Dunstan of the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute makes use of this analogy:
Breaking apart sitting time engages your muscle tissues and bones, and provides all our bodily features a lift – it’s a bit like revving a automobile’s engine.”
However there are drawbacks – standing as much as work is just not solely real looking (or certainly snug!) to do day in, time out. Our brains additionally deal with some duties much better sitting down – notably these requiring superb motor expertise.
How can we fight the ‘sedentary curse’?
The Division of Well being’s Start Active, Stay Active report recommends interrupting our sitting time each thirty minutes – with quick bouts of exercise that final only one to 2 minutes.
There are easy methods to minimise sedentary time throughout your working week. Recommendation directed particularly at adults aged 19 to 64 – contains the next:
- On the best way to work, stand on the prepare or bus – get off a cease early and stroll the additional distance if attainable.
- Take the steps and stroll up escalators
- Set a reminder to stand up each half-hour
- In case your workspace permits it, alternate working whereas seated, with standing.
- Stand or stroll round whereas on the cellphone
- Have a wander each time you’re taking a espresso or tea break
- As a substitute of emailing or calling, stroll to a co-worker’s desk
- Swap some TV time for extra energetic duties or hobbies