Heat-up with this scrumptious and Creamy Ham and Potato Soup – a hearty consolation meals favourite that’s creamy with out the cream because of a bit trick. This ham and potato soup recipe will rapidly change into a household favourite and it’s an effective way to make use of up leftover ham.
This submit was initially revealed on November twenty ninth, 2016. Up to date on November twentieth, 2020
Heat-up with a Massive Bowl of Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
When the climate turns chilly we flip to an enormous hearty bowl of soup. Making soup is the epitome of chilly climate. It’s straightforward to make and all the time leaves you glad after having fun with an enormous bowl of heat deliciousness. And this creamy ham and potato soup recipe is one in every of our all-time favourite soups to get pleasure from on a chilly winter day. With large chunks of ham, delicate potatoes, diced carrots, and the ever scrumptious and wholesome kale come collectively for an unforgettable bowl of soup.
Do you’ve gotten leftover ham to make use of up? When you made our Orange Glazed Ham for a vacation gathering, you’ll have leftovers of the scrumptious and juicy ham slices. This is a superb recipe to make use of up leftovers and eradicate meals waste. Chop these leftover ham slices into bite-size items and watch them rework right into a mouthwatering hearty soup.
This submit incorporates affiliate hyperlinks that gained’t change your worth however will share some fee.
Components for Dairy-Free Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- Cooking fats of selection – We like to make use of avocado oil or olive oil
- Yellow onion – Can even use white onion
- Leek – Use the white and lightweight inexperienced half solely. Might substitute 3-4 inexperienced onions as a substitute.
- Crimson potatoes – Might substitute Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes
- Rooster Broth – Homemade or store-bought. We advocate utilizing low-sodium broth as a way to modify the salt to style.
- Dried Thyme
- Cooked ham – Use ham without added sugar to make the recipe Whole30-friendly
- Kale – Might substitute spinach or one other hearty inexperienced
- Salt & Pepper
- Crimson Pepper Flakes – Non-compulsory
Methods to make Ham and Potato Soup
First step: Place a Dutch oven or giant pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium warmth and add the fats or oil of selection. When melted, add the onion, carrot, celery, and leeks. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring sometimes till the onions begin to soften.
Second step: Add the garlic and stir, cook dinner for an extra 30 seconds.
Third step: Add the potatoes, broth, and thyme. Deliver the soup to a boil, then scale back the warmth to low, cowl, and simmer till the potatoes and carrots are tender – about half-hour, relying on how giant the items of potatoes are and the way vigorous the simmer.
Fourth step: When the greens are tender, insert an immersion blender into the soup on one facet of the Dutch oven (or giant pot), and course of till creamy. Stir to combine the half you simply pureed into the opposite half of the soup. When you don’t have an immersion blender you’ll be able to switch half of the soup to a blender or meals processor and mix till creamy.
Final step: Add the diced ham and kale and proceed to warmth till the ham is heat and the kale is wilted. Style and season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Methods to retailer Ham Potato Soup
Retailer any leftover ham potato soup in a coated container within the fridge for as much as 4 days or place utterly cooled soup in a freezer-friendly container and freeze (see under for extra).
Inventory Your freezer with a Wholesome Soup
Have you ever discovered your self in the course of the week battling dinner creation? We perceive and we’ve got an answer! Once we make our soup recipes we make a double batch and freeze half of it to get pleasure from on these busy nights when take-out sounds so tempting. Conserving a wholesome batch of ham potato soup within the freezer is an effective way to get pleasure from a wholesome meal in below quarter-hour.
After making this dutch oven ham and potato soup, let it cool utterly, then switch it to a freezer-friendly container like this one or these half-gallon reusable silicone bags and freeze. The soup could be frozen for as much as 3 months.
Extra Freezer-Pleasant Soup Recipes to Make
Methods to Thaw and Reheat Ham and Potato Soup
To thaw the soup, merely take away the container of frozen ham and potato soup from the freezer and empty the contents into a big saucepan or Dutch oven. Cowl the saucepan with an inventory and over medium-low start to heat the soup stirring sometimes to make sure it doesn’t burn. Proceed to warmth till the soup is sizzling sufficient to get pleasure from, about 15-20 minutes.
Or take away the container of frozen soup and place it within the fridge in a single day to slowly thaw. The following day if you’re able to serve the soup, place the thawed soup right into a saucepan and warmth over medium-low warmth.
Different Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- 1 Tbsp. cooking fats of selection (corresponding to ghee, avocado oil or olive oil)
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 giant leek, white and lightweight inexperienced half solely, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups purple potatoes, skin-on, ½-inch cube
- 4 cups rooster broth (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 8 oz. cooked ham, ¼-inch cube
- 2 cups kale, tightly packed, torn into small items (about ½ bunch)
- ½ tsp. sea salt or to style
- ¼ tsp. black pepper or to style
- Crimson pepper flakes, non-obligatory
- Place a Dutch oven or different giant pot with a lid over medium warmth. Add fats/oil and when melted, add onion, carrot, celery, and leeks. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring sometimes till onions begin to soften.
- Add garlic, stir and cook dinner an extra 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes, broth, and thyme. Deliver soup simply to a boil then scale back warmth, cowl and simmer till potatoes and carrots are tender – about half-hour, relying on how giant they’re and the way vigorous the simmer.
- When greens are tender, insert an immersion blender into the soup on one facet of the pot and course of till creamy. Stir to combine the half you simply pureed into the opposite half of the soup (you may as well take away ½ of the soup and course of it in a blender or meals processor then return it to the pan).
- Add diced ham and kale proceed to warmth till ham is heat and kale is wilted. Style and season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve.
- Serving Dimension: 1/fifth recipe
- Energy: 322
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 775mg
- Fats: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 19g
Pin now to make later!
All pictures and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our pictures with out prior written permission. When you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your individual distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to the supply recipe right here on The Actual Meals Dietitians. Thanks!
Picture Credit score: The pictures on this weblog submit had been taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.