This week is Coeliac Consciousness Week and Sunday is World Baking Day – so I’m combining the 2 and sharing my favorite gluten-free cake recipe!
Orange & Almond Cake
Two huge oranges, roughly chopped, pips eliminated (go away the pores and skin on, provides beautiful flavour)
5 eggs (separated)
200g caster sugar
225g floor almonds
Handful of flaked almonds to brighten the highest
Icing sugar to brighten
- Place the chopped oranges in a pan, add a splash of water, cowl and gently simmer for about half-hour.
- As soon as cooked, very finely chop the orange or bung all of it in a meals processor till you will have a puree.
- Whisk egg whites till they type stiff peaks, steadily whisk in half the caster sugar.
- Whisk the eggs yolks with the remaining caster sugar and add in your oranges.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the combination – don’t be too vigorous otherwise you’ll knock all of the air out!
- Spoon right into a cake tin, sprinkle the highest with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 180 levels C
I really like mine served with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey – yum.
Hope you all get your aprons on this Sunday – do tweet me images of your scrumptious baked items, @PaiSkincare. Possibly we must always get Mary Berry to evaluate them…?